Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 2003 16:00:46 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to kill a 5.0R installation with 5.1R

Hi,

This has been one of my laptops. It had three partitions
on it, the first one FreeBSD.

> How does it crash?

I have lilo installed. When I choose freebsd, I get the
normal freebsd loader:

>> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT

After that, I see very fast a message scrolling
over the screen, it turns black again, and
voila, the box has rebooted.

I've killed the second box the same way. After restoring
boot0/boot1 I found that my disklables were nuked. Enjoy.

> You mean without loader?  From the boot blocks?  If so,
> the support for this has been broken for a long time.
> Ask BDE for patches.  :-)

Yes from the boot blocks.

> Also, have you tried the official 5.1-RELEASE bits,
> like booting from the installation CD-ROM?

No, I just upgraded with RELENG_5_0_0 from source.