Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 12:03:58 -0700
From:      "rick - SomersNet, Inc." <rick@somers.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   suexec crashing.. signal 11

Hello,

I am running FBSD-3.3 and Apache 1.3.11 with suexec enabled. The box
runs as a virtual server and houses about 600 users/domains for about 6
months now. Over the last few weeks suexec has been crashing about once
per day, and this is the error I get from /var/log/messages

May 26 11:23:44 v3 /kernel: pid 1757 (suexec), uid 0: exited on signal
11

I have looked through the mailing list archive and some people are
saying that "signal 11" means bad ram or processor. However I disagree
in my case.. All of the archives that I saw with "signal 11" had
multiple errors with multiple programs/apps, and I ONLY get errors with
suexec. So that leaves me to believe that there is something else wrong,
and not hardware.

My only guess it that maybe suexec can not support the amount of
traffic, or the amount of users. But I also think that can't be it since
we only average about 100 simultaneous connections and I have boxes
averaging 300+ and they too are running apache 1.3.11 with suexec..

So I'm puzzled.. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in Advance,

..rick