Date:      Tue, 1 Feb 2005 22:37:16 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: Proliant 5000

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

>> http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/159/159.html
>
> Yes, this is about the age I was expecting.  The specs are pretty
> close to my 6500.  I didn't realize, that the older RAID cards were
> EISA, but it's not clear from the article whether they were shipped
> with the 5000.

No it isn't clear - thing is though that most of those servers were
sold by VARS (the sister company of the ISP I work at used to be a
Compaq VAR and now is an HP VAR) and there was no default factory
configuration because the VAR was supposed to analyze the
customer's network and quote the appropriate parts.

Unfortunately however as you might have guessed the PCI cards were
at least a grand more than the EISA cards and so customers being
customers, far too many of these were quoted and built with the
cheaper EISA card.  Many also were upgrade sales of older Compaq 4500's
and they just sold the chassis and cpu's and ram, and moved the
disks and raid card wholesale from one to the other.

>> If he has an EISA raid card in there he can replace it with one of
>> these:
>>

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=56091&it
> em=5747208198&rd=1
>

>Look at the shipping costs.  That's another $13 before you get
>started.

Damn, there goes the pizza money...  :-)

And to think I actually bought a CGI card back in 1985 for $50!!!

Ted