Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 12:43:01 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        thomas@cuivre.fr.eu.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reboot -p

>Thomas Quinot writes:
>>  Currently, when reboot is invoked with the '-p' command line flag
>>  (powerdown), it performs a shutdown with RB_HALT|RB_POWEROFF.
>>  In some situations, it can be useful to try to perform a poweroff,
>>  but reboot if it fails (e.g. when you are shutting down the system
>>  as a result of a power failure, you want the system to reboot,
>  > *not* stay down, if power was restored after the start of the
>  > shutdown procedure). It would be nice if reboot was changed to
>  > pass only RB_POWEROFF (without RB_HALT) when invoked with '-p'.
>  > Of course halt(8) would be unaffected and still pass
>  > RB_HALT|RB_POWEROFF when invoked as halt -p.
>  >
>  >What do others think of this change:

If I understand what you are saying, the situation that you describe
seems odd to me.  If I do the command:
           shutdown -p now Power Failure\!
then I expect the machine to power-off if possible, or at least
halt if a power-off is not possible.  Why would I want it to
immediately reboot in that situation?

If I understand your request, you would want
           shutdown -p now
to behave the same as
           shutdown -r now
if the operating system does not know how to power down the hardware.
Is that what you want?

I guess I don't object to that, if that's what you want, but it does
seem a little odd to me.  I assume that an explicit
          shutdown -h -p now
would still halt the machine if the OS doesn't know how to power off
the machine.   By the way, what happens right now if someone does a
          shutdown -r -p now
?  Does that behave the way you want for your situation?