Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 15:18:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      cjm2@27in.tv
To:        <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>
Cc:        <cristjc@earthlink.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ipsec & tcpdump

See below:

> On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 01:36:44PM -0500, cjm2@27in.tv wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am running 4.4-STABLE.  I have an ipsec/ESP tunnel to another box.
>> I am trying to find out if there is any way to view the tcp/ip traffic
>> (w/ tcpdump) that is going over that tunnel.  Not being able to view
>> this traffic is making troubleshooting some other issues rather
>> difficult.
>
> I am not sure I understand this correctly. Obviously, if you can
> actually see the TCP information in the ESP packets, your tunnel is not
> providing much security.

From the standpoint of an intermediate network, yes.  But my 4.4 box is an
end-point on that tunnel and by virtue of that is already able to see all
of the TCP information passing through that tunnel.  What I would like is a
way to view that traffic passing over that interface as I would any other
interface on my box.  Hiding that traffic from the administrator of one of
the end points seems to serve no purpose.

If I run 'tcpdump -i ed0' and I start pinging another host, I will see the
icmp packets that originate from my box, and the return packets coming back
to my box.

If I run 'tcpdump -i gif0' and I start pinging the host on the other end of
my tunnel, i see absolutely nothing.

>> My ifconfig reads: (Public ip's have been faked to protect the
>> innocent.) dc0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu
>> 1500
>>         inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.0.255
>>         ether 00:c0:f0:4d:f6:9f
>>         media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX)
>>         status: active
>> ed0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>>         inet 1.2.3.4 netmask 0xfffffc00 broadcast 255.255.255.255
>>         ether 00:00:e8:d7:ef:3c
>> lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
>>         inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
>> gif0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
>>         tunnel inet 1.2.3.4 --> 5.6.7.8
>>         inet 10.0.0.1 --> 192.168.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00
>>
>> My ip is 10.0.0.1 and the remote ip is 192.168.0.1.  As a test I setup
>> a ping to 192.168.0.1
>>
>> "tcpdump -i ed0 proto 1" shows me the ESP packets
>
> It shouldn't. ESP is protocol 50. Protocol 1 is ICMP.

Touche... I made a mistake.  If I run 'tcpdump -i ed0' I will see the ESP
packets, 'tcpdump -i XXX proto 1' where XXX is every single interface on my
system, will show absolutely nothing.

Let me expand upon this a little more.  The end-point on the other side of
the tunnel is a Linux box running FreeS/WAN.  On the Linux box it creates a
new interface called 'ipsec0' (much like we create a gif0).  BUT, on the
Linux box, one can type 'tcpdump -i ipsec0' and view the TCP information of
packets passing through that interface.

I would simply like to be able to do the same on my FreeBSD box.