Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 2008 13:21:08 -0500
From:      "Paul A. Procacci" <pprocacci@datapipe.com>
To:        Jim Pazarena <fquest@ccstores.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mysql Performance Question  4.1.22 vs 5.1.26.rc

Jim Pazarena wrote:
> I changed from 4.1.22 to 5.1.26.rc and my performance in a very busy db,
> tanked!
>
> could the use of an 'rc' possibly be my issue?
>
> is there any chance that the 'rc' has debugging enabled which is
> slowing me down?
Hello,

I've ran some tests just this past week (in fact I emailed
freebsd-general about this yesterday), unfortunately however it was
comparing performance between 5.0.51 and 5.1.26.

http://paul.procacci.me/benchmarks/freebsd7-Release.html

5.1 performs worse than 5.0 at higher workloads.  I'm unsure about 4,
but am quite sure moving to 5.0 is probably the best decision you could
make.

~Paul