Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 94 18:01:08 EST
From:      fcawth@squid.umd.edu (Fred Cawthorne)
To:        bmk@dtr.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange problems with quotas >1 disk.

> A few weeks ago, I configured a FreeBSD-2.0 system for quotas on
> one disk (mount point /VOL1).  I was able to use edquota, repquota,
> quotacheck, all without problems.
>
> A few days ago I found the need to use quotas on another
> filesystem (/VOL2), which is on a different physical disk from
> /VOL2 (I doubt that matters).  Since doing so, I have been plagued
> with intermittant page faults and reboots when I run any of the
> quota utilities.  For example, quotacheck -v -a will often cause
> a reboot (no page fault) after it finishes checking /VOL1.  edquota
> fails as well when it attempts to update user.quota, but it
> SOMETIMES gives a page fault (I didn't record the information,
> unfortunately).  Usually it just reboots.  Sometimes it even
> works like it should :).

> Has anyone else seen this problem, or is it just me?

I have seen this on my system.  (Just tried it...)
I have also seen one reboot when I was doing alot of quota changing on a
config with only one filesystem that had quotas.
 (i.e. edquota a bunch of times...)  It usually works correctly for
the single filesystem case, as you noted.  When I enabled quotas on
a second filesystem, and ran quotacheck, it rebooted my machine!!!!
(I was running X, so I don't know if there was a message...)
Also, when it came back up, and tried to check the quotas, it said:
quotacheck: cannot allocate memory
(When quotacheck -a was run from the rc file)
I have 32 megs of ram, 64 megs of swap ... What gives????
I can run quotacheck in X windows, etc.. and it doesn't crash now.
(It does give that cannot allocate memory message)  It had to create the
user.quota file before it crashed, so maybe that messed things up??

In any event, there's got to be something wrong with this thing.
Any ideas??

My machine:
  486DX2/66
  32 Megs ram
  Adaptec 1542CF SCSI controller
  1.6 Gig Micropolis SCSI drive
  Toshiba SCSI cdrom
  S3 VLB video card
  your usual irrelevant stuff...

I'm running FreeBSD 2.0 release BTW...  Is this one of those
"embarassing" bugs??  (:

Fred.