Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 22:35:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Eric Osterweil <eosterweil@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Why does chflags cause make install to fail?

> I needed to recompile my kernal (to enable natd) in freeBSD 4.1.1-stable,
> and when I run make install I get an error telling me that the "chflags
> noschg /kernal" command is not allowed.  Then the "mv /kernal /kernal.old"
> fails and dumps the install process.
>
> I cannot find any reference to this on the freeBSD.org site.  I also tried
> to run "chflags nouchg /kernal", but it also fails.  Is there something else
> I should try?

The 'schg' flag (which is set on the kernel) can't be unset if you're
running in securelevel >= 1.  If that's the case, you need to lower
the securelevel.  See init(8) for details.

Hope this helps

P.S.  It's kernEl, not kernAl.

--
Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Finger dima@unixfreak.org for my public PGP key.

I've used up all my sick days so I'm calling in dead!