Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2013 09:23:37 -0500
From:      "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Chris Rees <crees@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, "office@freebsd.org" <office@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why can't gcc-4.2.1 build usable libreoffice?

18.02.2013 15:26, Chris Rees ???????(??):
> I'm sure you understand that our compiler in base is rather elderly,
> and that a project as insanely huge as Libreoffice is going to be
> highly sensitive to minute changes.
No, Chris... I do not understand this wonderfully PR-esque response.
See, my understanding always was, the only possible reasons for a
compiler to produce a non-starting executable are:

 1. The code is buggy.
 2. The compiler is buggy.
 3. Both of the above.

My question was, which is it?

19.02.2013 00:35, Kevin Oberman ???????(??):
> Just for the record, is find that it works fine for me with gcc-4.6.
> 9.1-STABLE on i386 system. Building it with the default compiler
> results in a successful build, but the program would simply exit after
> a few seconds with no error. The exist status was 0. No messages. When
> I built with 4.6, it builds and runs fine
Yes, 4.6 is supposed to work and is supported by the office@ team. My
question was about 4.2.1, which happens to be the base cc/c++ in 8.x and
in 9.x as well, if world was built WITHOUT_CLANG. I too observe the
4.2.1-compiled office die at start-up -- the splash screen starts nicely
and exits after kicking off the actual soffice.bin which segfaults.

    -mi