Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 08:16:23 -0700
From:      Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Ethics of Free Software

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 01:00:25PM +0530, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> My take on that is that, in any profession, you can do interesting and
> inspired work and be paid adequately for it if you're good; or you can
> sacrifice some freedom and creativity but be paid huge amounts.  Only
> a few achieve both, total job satisfaction and stratospheric pay
> packets;

Not everyone is looking for stratospheric pay. I just don't want
Stallman to decide when I'm getting paid too much :)

> My impression is that the software world is no different.  The
> majority of software engineers (the people Arun was worrying about)
> treat it as a routine job.  A lot of creative people choose to
> stick around in universities or in low-key system administration
> posts, so that they can spend most of their time doing what they want
> to do while earning a decent living.

There are other ways one can spend time on interesting work - achieve
financial independence. A lot of people in the silicon valley do just
that.

> The people who have both the talent and the drive to make it big
> financially while enjoying their work -- I think they'll take care
> of themselves somehow.  There aren't so many such people in the world
> and there are always places where they can fit in.

Those are also the people with high creative energy and in
Stallman's dream world, software will lose them to other fields.

	-Arun