Date:      Fri, 5 Jul 1996 15:54:59 -1001
From:      richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk)
To:        hardware@freebsd.org, bsdi-users@bsdi.com

Subject: Re: muliport boards - building a PPP dialup server [ISDN]

} > Yes, today ISDN is expensive.  But I heard that in some parts of California
} > ISDN costs the same as regular analog phones.  This will spread.  Things are
} > not static, and just as I'm sure the designers of UARTs that couldn't go
} > faster than 19200 baud reliably even after problems with earlier ones and the
} > relatively low cost of much faster ones, felt that they were doing the best,
} > but for analog modems, most good connections these days are at 115, 200 baud.
} >
} > So while ISDN isn't mainstream today that doesn't mean it won't be soon.
}
} You're forgetting that while the price of a P6-200 is determined by
} technology and competition, the price of telephone service is determined
} by the PUC and local political goals.  Your prediction is not on
} completely firm ground.  It might actually happen, but I sure wouldn't
} bet on it.

Cable has a good chance of blowing ISDN away.  Much faster and cheaper.  And
it will be available in many places this year.  More, next.

Keep your eye on the cable companies.

Richard