Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 12:34:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        efinley@efinley.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: MD5 VS. DES

> Hello,
>      I was just looking at my password file, and I have one user that
> has an encrypted password that is very long and starts with $1$ which
> I'm guessing is MD5?  All the other users have shorter encrypted
> passwords, and they _don't_ start with $1$ which I'm guess is DES?

This is correct.

>      All users can login just fine.  If the different users are in
> fact using two different encryption schemes, then how is this
> working?

The DES libraries can read MD5 hashes.  I'm guessing that the users
with MD5 passwords set their passwords before you updated your system
to use the DES libraries.  There's no harm in this, and the only way
to fix it is to reset all the passwords which are currently recorded
in the unwanted format.

Hope this helps

--
Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Finger dima@unixfreak.org for my public PGP key.

Life would be much easier if we could just read the source code.