Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 15:01:22 +0100
From:      Bertrand Yvain <byvain@isdnet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange inconsistencies with NFS mounts

Hello world,

We are running a couple of FreeBSDs (15) which share a nfs mount for
their mailboxes [1] :

mount_nfs -o intr -o nosuid 172.31.0.1:/mail /var/mail1

They use nfsiod -n 4.

172.31.0.1 is a NetApp Filer F760.  I guess that it's nfsv3 and udp
since it's the default on both clients and server.

The mailboxes are accessed by (local versions of) sendmail, ipop3d and
imapd.

For unknown reasons the size of some files is not the same on every
client. (and we do not want that :)

Investigating further, I wrote a simple C program that stat(2) a given
file and displays all the fields of the returned struct stat.  There
are only two fields that differ from one client to another : the
inode's device st_dev and the size st_size (even the number of
allocated blocks st_blocks is the same).

Strange, isn't it ?

There not that much example to be sure but it seems correlated (as far
as the FreeBSD 4.x are concerned) :
- clients with a good st_size have a st_dev of 0x300ff01.
- clients with a bad st_size (all different) have a st_dev of
  0x200ff01, 0x200ff00 or 0x3ff01.

Host running FreeBSD 3.x don't show any problem but have a st_dev of
Ox8201 or Ox8301.

The faulty sizes can be corrected by a simple touch(1) or more(1) on
the file.

Hence my questions :

- What is the meaning of st_dev ?
- Does anybody recall something like that ? or have any clue ?

Thanks a lot,

[1] Different versions of FreeBSD, mainly 4.1, one 4.0 and a few in
    3.x series.  Don't blame me if they are not upgraded to the last
    -STABLE, please.

--
byvain@isdnet.net