Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 1999 19:37:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jonathan Fosburgh <wotan@fosburgh.dyndns.org>
To:        Jason Hudgins <thanatos@eddie.incantations.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KSCD crashing under FreeBSD 3.1

On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, Jason Hudgins wrote:

> I had problems with this several months ago..
>
> Look in the kscd source at plat_freebsd.c
> make sure the define for #DEFAULT_CD_DEVICE points
> to the correct device for your system...
>
> Apparently if kscd fails to open the device it just
> likes to dump core.
>
> On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, Jonathan Fosburgh wrote:
>
> > > Hmm..
> > > Yes I got the kscd to work, it's quite a while ago for now. Actually
> > > I don't use KDE anyway, only some applications... sometimes :) As you
> > > say that cdcontrol works fine (for audio cd's, right?), I assume the
> > > hardware is ok. Now it's beyond my knowledge, maybe somebody else can
> > > help you further. Have you tried workman, it needs some additional
> > > libraries but it's worth of try, it's the only X cd-player which
> > > works for my home computer.
> > > --
> > Already tried it, I think I tried about all of the X cd players and only xcd
> > worked, and as I recall it wasn't very wonderful.
> > --
> > Jonathan Fosburgh
> > Geotechnician
> > Snyder Oil Corporation
> > Houston, TX
> >
> > Home Page:
> > http://www.geocities.com/vienna/1498
> > Manager, FreeBSD Webring:
> > http://www.geocities.com/vienna/1498/computer/freebsdring.html
> > ICQ: 32742908
> > AIM: Namthorien

> Jason Hudgins
> http://www.incantations.net/~thanatos

I had tried that a long time ago, that was how I got kscd to stop crashing
on launch. :)  All of the X cd players I try seem to behave in a similar
manner, but they don't give good error messages.  xmcd does give a better
message, and here is the text:

CD audio: ioctl error on /dev/racd0c: cmd=CDIOCPLAYMSF errno=5

Anyone able to offer and help with this?