Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 1998 23:17:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Robert Jackson <d055633c@dc.seflin.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help with multiple drives.

freebsd-questions == questions.

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Robert Jackson wrote:

> I'm trying to connect a 3rd and possibly a 4th HDD ont my freebsd box.  I
> don't know how to go about doing it though.  I have a 540 MB win95 drive
> on wd0 and a 160 MB on wd1 (as you can guess I ran out of space). I want
> to put a couple more drives on and be able to use them with my present
> system. I've partitioned them with sysinstall, now how do I get them to
> hook up to the file system?  I was thinking maybe create a directory
> called /programs, or /usr2 or something similar, and mounting the drives
> in a similar way like you mount msdos drives?  Has anybody done this?

I have :)

You mount UNIX disks the same way you mount DOS disks except you don't
specify a type.  For instance, I have a new disk on sd0 that I just
formatted, so to mount it I run:

mount /dev/sd0s1a /mnt

And the disk shows up on /mnt.

If you want them to show up automatically, add entries for the disks to
/etc/fstab.

See http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/diskformat/ for details.