Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 2002 11:07:15 -0200
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@tcoip.com.br>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with ntpdate

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> On 2002-11-28 17:00, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@tcoip.com.br> wrote:
> > I found out that ntpdate just doesn't seem to be working at all
> > during boot. Ntpd dies because of the time differential (windows
> > changes the time two hours because of the TZ). No message from
> > ntpdate (I'll next try to divert it to syslog).
>
> You could always fix the broken date in the CMOS setup.  This will
> always work, and it won't make already started processes behave in
> unexpected ways because of the sudden clock change when ntpdate
> changes the time :-/

What? Enter BIOS setup and fix the clock each time I alternate between
Windows and FreeBSD? Just because something in the boot isn't working
correctly? Now, this is just my machine, and besides my getting the
lunch time wrong and seeing weird times in mail, this isn't much of an
issue. But having once been responsible for mere ~35 machines, I
*assure* you that either the OS Does The Right Thing during boot, or you
are in for a LOT of trouble.

And just to repeat, so I'm not misunderstood, the tcp changes in current
might or might not be a contributing factor in my problem, but the real
culprit turned out to be the network, not FreeBSD.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Fundamentalist Debianites, core children of the Linuxen....
        sounds like it could come from the Book of Mormon, or Tolkien on
	a bad day..."