Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 20:24:22 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   upgrading a system with vinum volumes

Hello!

I'm trying to upgrade a system from 4.3-RELEASE to RELENG_4_5.

This system has most of its data on vinum volumes, including
/usr/src. So, the build process takes place on vinum volume.

I got through cvsup, make buildworld, make buildkernel, make
installkernel, reboot. After boot -s I bumped into a problem. When
trying to 'fsck -p' and then 'mount -a', I get a message:
/dev/vinum/mirror01: device not configured.

/dev/vinum/mirror01 is the device node for my vinum volume, which
is usually mounted as /mirror01 and contains most of the stuff
normally found under /usr and /var (symlinked to their canonical
locations).

I tried to 'kldload vinum' (which succeeded with message
'vinum:loaded') and then 'mount -a' again, but I got the same
message.

Digging in list archives shows that vinum volumes 'should' be
mountable after booting into single user mode with new kernel. Is
there something special that needs to be done to make this happen?

If I somehow[1] get the installworld done regardless, should
everything be fine afterwards or can I expect more hair-pulling
with vinum?

[1] I can see two ways:
 - copy /usr/src to non-vinum volume and run installworld from
   there. Does the installworld process want to access anything
   outside /usr/src that would prohibit this? Does the fact that
   buildworld and installworld are done in different directories
   mess up any file paths?

 - make installworld in multiuser mode. Is it possible to get away
   with this if I kick off all users (not that there are any in the
   eveninig) and shut down all the non-essential processes?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* If you don't think women are explosive, drop one.