Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 09:52:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (Free BSD Questions list)
Subject:   Can I build a floppy to boot the kernel on the hard drive from?

	I have an old Vectra 486 that I brought home to set up for a gateway at
	work, over the weekend.

	Unfortunately the 1.2G drive that I brought seems to be bad, either
	that or the disk controler.

	I have a 20G drive that would like to put in this machine over the
	weekend amd do som make worlds to test if it's the drive or the
	controler.

	Unfortunately I can't seem to get the BIOS to tell the FreeBSD boot
	loader about this drive. Even though it appears to be detected corectly
	by the BIOS. When I boot off the install disks, I only get a message
	about BIOSdrive A. However I was able to get FreebSD to recognize the
	disk and install (since it does not use the BISO, I assume).

	However that leaves me with a system that will not boot. So I am
	wondering if I can build some sort of boot floppy for this machine? I
	really jsut need to get it booted up inot FreeBSD once to run the test.
	I amm not going to doante my 20G drive to work :-) But if I determine
	that the problem really is the drive, and not the controler I can get a
	new/old drive at work Monday.

	Thanks for any sugestiosn on this.

--
Stan Brown     stanb@netcom.com                                    404-996-6955