Date:      21 Aug 2002 22:37:49 -0700
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
To:        Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: need some advice on a freebsd solution

Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com> writes:

| i have a client who needs to run a relatively simple DOS application that
| will host a service to his clients.  [...]
|
| 1.) a simple dos application needs to be accessed
| 2.) the user will only have access to this application when they connect,
| and the session will terminate when the user terminates the application
| 3.) the connection needs to be secure.
|
| i was thinking of using a DOS emulator... [...]  however, if it's possible,
| i'm not impartial to running this appliacation over a https connection
| either.
|
| intially i was looking at VNC, but it seems that VNC will not allow for
| independant multiple user sessions.  i also need the trafic to be encrypted.
| vnc will do this, but it requires two freebsd boxes to encrypt/de-encrypt
| over a public connection.  my client will not want to require his client to
| setup a FreeBSD box on their network, which will alter the existing network
| structure.

I often hate answers that start this way, but sometimes, there's just no way to
avoid it:  What does the DOS application actually do?

The reason I ask is because it isn't clear to me what the situation is.

Your client has this DOS program he needs to run, yes?  Does he need to have
multiple users running it at once on the same machine?  Does the DOS program
access the network directly?  Who's using the program?  Your client's clients,
or just your client?  Does the connection have to be secure for just your
client, or for the client's clients?  What sort of interface do your client's
clients use, if any?

And that's not the last of the questions.  I just feel like there's so little
information in your initial post.

                                       *

My gut feeling is that if the DOS program is simple enough, it should probably
be reimplemented as a native FreeBSD app.  Could it be rewritten easily in,
say, Perl or Python?