Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2000 01:57:56 -0400
From:      "Kennie H. Jones" <khjones@w3rite.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP connects but cannot access remote computers

I wrote yesterday because I had used:

-Kernel PPP: it would connect but I could not access (ping, telnet, etc) any computers outside my own local net (Internet).

-User PPP: was invoked in auto mode so, as I executed ping, it did not dial (apparently the same reason as Kernel PPP - wasn't sending through ppp router so it didn't think it should dial).

I found the problem: somehow because of options I chose during installation (I didn't add it to the file) the following line was entered in the /etc/rc/conf file:
defaultrouter="10.0.0.1"

This explains the problem: Although both Kernel and User PPP are supposed to set the default router to the dynamically assigned remote address from the ISP, this line prevented it from happening.

When I removed this line, I was able to ping, telnet, ftp to anywhere on the Internet.
Kennie H. Jones
757-868-7567