Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 2004 15:33:17 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        alex <draejin@adelphia.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cannot install freebsd

alex wrote:
> while i am trying to install freebsd 5.2.1 i get and error:
>
> something about video card timing 10.000msec
> panic:ohci_add_done: addr 0x00004000 not found
> cpuid = 0;

There's not quite enough context there to really identify the cause of the
panic, although your guess about USB is reasonable (ohci is a USB device driver).

I'll still try to make some suggestions for what to do, but 5.2.1 is old
enough that your best bet might be to try the latest 5.3beta release, or even
consider falling back to 4.10.  If 5.3 works for you, that would be easier
than tracking down whatever got fixed since 5.2.1.

> i have searched most of the freebsd handbook, any forum i could find,
> and talking to a firend i can find NOTHING about this.  apparently i'm
> the only newbie to ever have this problem.
> i thought it was my keyboard and mouse being usb, so i tried ps/2 ones.
> the only difference is one it hits that error it actually reboots in
> 15sec like it says.

Things to try include doing the install in "safe mode", which disables APIC
and ACPI.  Make sure "PnP OS" is set to "no" in the BIOS, and maybe consider
disabling your USB controller entirely for a bit in order to see whether the
install can procede.

If that doesn't help, try to provide a more complete error message from the panic.

--
-Chuck