Date:      Sun, 3 Apr 2005 17:24:24 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@sigpipe.cz>
To:        Sadashiv Kulthe <sadashiv.linux@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: webalizer package installation

# sadashiv.linux@gmail.com / 2005-04-03 19:13:04 +0530:
> I am trying to install webalizer. I am newbie and I have  tried a lot.
> But it is giving me error ..

    Hello,

    please don't post to many lists at once. If in doubt, check the
    charters at
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/eresources.html#ERESOURCES-MAIL

> checking for main in -lpng... no
> configure: error: png library not found... please install Png.
>
> checking for libgd.so... (cached) no
> configure: error: gd library not found... please install gd.

    This is output of a configure script, how are you exactly installing
    webalizer?

> 1) How to install gd and png libraries? Can you provide me url?  How
> to check they are installed or not?

    I'll answer a question of how to install webalizer instead.

    Either: pkg_add -r webalizer
    or:     cd /usr/ports/www/webalizer && make install clean

> 2) I also want to install a JAVA on freeBSD. What are the packages
> requires, how to install them. I know pkg_add command.

    Will this help?
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/java-tomcat/index.html

    Other documentation might be helpful, too:
    http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html

> 3) How to check what packages are install on the system and how to
> resolve dependacies.

    Documentation on the packaging system in FreeBSD can be found
    in the Handbook (file:///usr/share/doc/handbook/ or
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/), and in ports(7)
    and pages referenced from there.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.