Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 19:01:16 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@atg.aciworldwide.com>, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 02:19:32PM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:
> We can still keep the gcc names because, well, they are gcc. :)  However,
> calling the system compiler 'cc' makes perfect sense, and it shouldn't
> hurt to do this.

We all *ready* call the system compiler `cc'.  So I don't understand what
you are saying.

> In fact, since Lyndon is just asking for a switch to do it (and not
> one that will be on by default) there should be no harm in adding such a
> switch.

Other than a messier Makefile for what I see as a very rare corner case.

> Remember, we aren't supposed to set policy here. :)  The base system
> should not depend on the 'gcc' name, so having an _option_ to not use
> the g* names shouldn't be something to get upset about.

We aren't setting policy.  Like it or not, our system compiler is `gcc'.
Also like it or not `gcc' is the most prolific compiler in all of history.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)