Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 13:08:51 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VM out-of-swap problems

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> It seems that way to more folks than just you, but rest assured that
> if it were that simple to get bugs of long-standing evilness
> eradicated just before a major release, we'd make it a policy to do so
> without a second thought.  Unfortunately, this one is just a bit

Fair enough, I hadn't realised it was something which had been around for so
long - I thought it was new 'behaviour' which was introcued into current. The
impression I got from recent discussions was that lots of people had an idea
of where he problem lay and how to look for it, but I guess either this is a
case of words speaking softer than actions or me not paying close enough
attention :-)

> welcome to try your hand at it, in fact, since we're definitely well
> into the stage where general debugging assistance on this specific
> problem is being eagerly solicited.  It certainly wouldn't hurt.

I'd like to learn more about FreeBSD's internals at some point, but
unfortunately I have this little matter of a thesis hanging over my head (it's
my own personal 3.0-RELEASE, yay! :-) Since there's a workaround and it's not
specifically a problem with 3.0, I guess I can live with it if no-one manages
to make any progress in the next month :-)

> and the "VM experts" tend to be busy enough that they're not going to
> be able to make much progress with nothing more that a "junk pointer"
> printf().  This problem needs to be instrumented like a lab experiment
> and far more data gathered first.

Well, if anyone does want to take a crack at this and would like some detailed
information about a system when it exhibits the problem, please contact me
with the kinds of information which would be helpful and I'll see if I can
provide it.

Kris