Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 2013 09:28:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        David Collins <davidcollins001@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg not working with radeon on 10 stable

David Collins wrote:
> I have recently upgraded from 9 stable to 10 stable. The intention was
> to install an updated version of xbmc which was quite out of date. I
> upgraded from source the usual way and upgraded my ports as is
> suggested at the bottom of the portmaster man page (delete everything
> and re-build).

(Your message showed only as an "OCTET-STREAM" attachment, repasted here
as text.)

I did a similar upgrade recently also.

> I have a Radeon HD 2400 PRO/XT, which supported from whats in the log
> file.  The user is as member of the dri group. I load the radeonkms
> kernel module on boot.

That is not necessary, and causes problems for some.

> When try to start X (same xorg.conf file that
> worked previously or with newly created xorg.conf) the xserver gives
> me a black screen which I can't do anything with, I am also unable to
> switch virtual terminals.

This is a known problem with the KMS drivers.  The new console drivers
fix this, hopefully to be MFCed soon after 10.0-RELEASE.

> I can ssh in to get access. My make.conf, xorg.conf and Xorg log file
> are below but the bits that look suspect are:

> [   127.760] (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
> [   128.363] (EE) AIGLX error: r600 does not export required DRI extension

> I have found a number of reports of this with linux but no solutions
> that I have been able to use. Does anyone have any idea how to solve
> this?

Use the ati or radeon driver, not radeonhd, which is obsolete.