Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 08:53:36 -0500
From:      Jaime Kikpole <jaime@snowmoon.com>
To:        Al Davison <shonnel7@pdq.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Windows NT

> Al Davison wrote:
> Can programs that operate on Windows NT operate on FreeBSD? Is FreeBSD
> comparable or better than NT?

	Using the wine package, you can run a certain number of Win32 and Win16
programs.  If you're going to load FreeBSD 3.0, you can run many (most?)
MS-DOS programs.  Note that the wine system is still in development and you
probably don't want to use it for mission critical apps.

	As to your second question, let me tell you a few facts and let you decide.

	FreeBSD is more configurable, has better support for the Internet's open
standards, tends to have visibly better performance on the same hardware,
has better logging of things like reasons for crashes and reboots, ppp
status and errors, and user actions.  It never costs more than $70 (and
that's with 4 CDs and a think book) and can cost as little as $0.00.  These
costs are legal, not pirated.

	Windows NT has a few advantages in supporting Windows NT Workstation, but
not many.  Windows NT is more popular with "pointy haired bosses" and you
have to justify this choice less often.  Of course, what you save in time
spent on justification is MORE than lost in time spent on trying to fix it.
Windows NT has a larger following, so turning to a friend for help is more
likely to be successful.  On the other hand, if you don't mind using the
FreeBSD handbook and FAQ (see http://www.freebsd.org... they're both free),
email, usenet, and IRC for technical support, you're more likely to get a
solid answer.

	This is based off of 3 years experience in Unix (NetBSD, FreeBSD, Ultrix,
Solaris, etc.) and 8 months of Windows NT consulting plus 9 months of
Windows NT user-level experience.  And trust me, the experience in Windows
NT Server consulting was not by choice.

	Oh, and consider this:  I replaced a $12000-$15000 Windows NT web proxy and
mail server with a $250 FreeBSD proxy once.  (This was due to a problem with
the NT box and was a temporary measure.)  No one noticed!  Well, OK, I
received a single complaint that the email server was down, but no one
noticed a speed hit on the proxy.  The NT server had 192MB of RAM, 3 HDs,
two 100Base NICs, 2 Pentium IIs, etc.  The FreeBSD box was a spare 486 that
I had.  It had 66MHz, 16MB of RAM, and one 10Base-T NIC.

	*I* prefer FreeBSD and am using it at my job.  The choice is your's of
course.  NT has better "butt-covering" value, but you'll have to explain why
it crashed.  FreeBSD can run for months or even years without problems if
you have stable hardware.

						Good luck,
						Jaime