Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 2003 22:24:21 -0500
From:      "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
Subject:   Re: Apache_fp Port install problem

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 19:52:33 -0600, Jack L. Stone wrote:

>>>I'm also seeing the "__stderrp" error in my httpd-error.log whenever I try
>>>to login to FP. So, something has changed in the FBSD-4.5-4.7 update and
>>>I've never seen this error, so don't know what needs to be fixed. I have
>>>another server running apache_fp.1.27 on FBSD.4.7 just fine.
>>>
>>>It's looking like an uninstall/reinstall completely for apache+fp....
>>>didn't want to have to do that on a box with a bunch of virtual hosts.....
>>>
>>>Has anyone seen the above problem on similar installs...???
>>
>>yeah, you need to have COMPAT3X=TRUE in your /etc/make.conf
>>
>>took me three day to figure that one out
>>
>>---
>>doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net
>
>Hi, Doug: You say COMPAT3X=TRUE
>
>...but the /etc/defaults/make.conf says:
>COMPAT3X= yes    (note the spacing too)
>
>Will you double-check this syntax....?? I thought it had to be the same as
>the default statement, but my first attempts using "COMPAT3X= yes" didn't
>do any good. Then someone (Gordon) suggested deleting /usr/scr and adding
>the statement as well. Did you do that too...??? ..or just the add to the
>make.conf.... I'd rather not delete "/usr/src" if not necessary and the
>question boils down to:
>COMPAT3X=TRUE vs COMPAT3X= yes (I guess....)
>
>...sorry for all the nit-pick questions, but I know the problems lies here
>and something simple.

I know for sure i did not delete my /usr/src; I don't think i even did
a make clean, but i might have.  i don't normally do that.  I know it
works, frontpage works everytime.

this is what my make.conf say (in full)

CPUTYPE=k6-2
NO_SENDMAIL=true
COMPAT3X=true

according to man make.conf

     The following list provides a name and short description for
variables
     that are used during the world build:

     COMPAT1X      (bool) Set to install the FreeBSD 1 compatibility
                   libraries.

     COMPAT20      (bool) Set to install the FreeBSD 2.0 compatibility
                   libraries.

     COMPAT21      (bool) Set to install the FreeBSD 2.1 compatibility
                   libraries.

     COMPAT22      (bool) Set to install the FreeBSD 2.2 compatibility
                   libraries.

     COMPAT3X      (bool) Set to install the FreeBSD 3 compatibility
                   libraries.

     COMPAT4X      (bool) Set to install the FreeBSD 4 compatibility
                   libraries.

boolean should mean true or false, but in most cases, it means yes & no
---
doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net