Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2001 23:32:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Doug Denault <doug@safeport.com>
To:        Clarence Brown <clabrown@granitepost.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: can't start X Windows

yea - check permissions and perhaps .xinitrc needs to be execuable. I only
have one file:

-rwx------  1 doug  doug  53 Jul 21 18:06 .xsession*

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/ssh-agent /usr/local/bin/startkde

and confess to not knowing how .xinitrc is used exactly. In my setup you
do not need the ssh-agent just the startkde.

If you get rid of all the .x files xdm should start twm. E.g., you will
get the Xfree86 signon screen