Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:51:53 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein-freebsd-questions@theloosingend.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network setup

At home I have in my network:

 - A FreeBSD server
 - A FreeBSD workstation
 - A Windows gaming box
 - A FreeBSD laptop
 - A friend's backup server

All are connected to a switch witch in turn is connected to the internett.
I have real ethernet comming into my house, and all my machines have
public IP-addresses which are handed out by a DHCP server outside of my
control.

Since my ISP have started to enforce soft bandwidth limiting, with the
consequence of losing my connection for 48 hours if exceeded, I need some
mean to count my traffic. Only traffic outside the subnet is counted.

I therefore thought I could put another FreeBSD machine between my switch
and the internet, which counts traffic (and also acts as a firewall).
However, I can not afford to get another box to do this. So I thought I
could use the server. I also want to put a wireless card in the firewall
to allow me to move around with my laptop. Something like this:

                     Internet

                 ---------------
                 |    fxp0     |
                 |             |         --------------
                 | FBSD Server |  ) ) )  |   Laptop   |
                 |             |  802.11 |  FreeBSD   |
                 |    fxp1     |         --------------
                 ---------------

                    ----------
                    | Switch |
                    ----------

         -------------------------------
         |              |              |
  -----------------     |      -----------------
  | Workstation 1 |     |      | Workstation 2 |
  |   FreeBSD     |     |      |    Windows    |
  -----------------     |      -----------------

               -------------------
               | Friend's server |
               |    FreeBSD      |
               -------------------

I'd like the possibility to have the workstations on the public internet
(with public IP-addresses handed out by my ISP's DHCP sever). I must admit
I'm out of my league here, but I guess I'd like the FBSD server to be
invisible for the workstations and the backup server, but still be able
analyse the IP-traffic. Is this possible? Does this kind of setup have a
name, for which I can google?

If this is impossible, I guess I could setup NAT on the server/firewall,
and forward a couple of ports to the server behind the firewall.

The issue is that all the traffic needs to be counted, and at least two
machines needs to be visible on the public internet. Additionally I'd like
to have a wireless connection for my laptop. I guess an ad-hoc setup would
do for this?

SVein Halvor