Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 2002 20:20:17 -0400
From:      parv <parv_fm@nospammail.net>
To:        Dave <morbiddk@insensible.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: procmail and .forward woes

do wrap lines around 69 or so characters to give me no incentive to
ignore your mail otherwise.

in message <20020825022823.A13293@limpid.insensible.net>,
wrote Dave thusly...

> ... This is more of a procmail / .forward problem than an
> application problem.
>
> My .forward file looks as such:
>
> "|/usr/local/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #morbiddk@insensible.net"
>
> ... .procmailrc ...
>
> :0fw
> | /home/morbiddk/bin/SpamAssassin/spamassassin -P -c /home/morbiddk/bin/SpamAssassin/rules
> on my FreeBSD machine I get 2 messages, one is the actual message
> sent and the other is a Mail Delivery System failure message. The
> contents of one of these failed messages is as follows:
>
> Subject: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
> This message was created automatically by mail delivery software (Exim).

> pipe to |/usr/local/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #morbiddk@insensible.net
> generated by morbiddk@insensible.net

after setting up procmail to be run via .forward, i was also getting
the similar messages from sendmail.

below is what i have in my .forward...

"|exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -f- /home/parv/.procmailrc || exit 75#parv"

...try specifying the .procmailrc.

somebody more knowledge should tell us the exact problem & solution.

> The following text was generated during the delivery attempt:
>
> ------ pipe to |/usr/local/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #morbiddk@insensible.net
> generated by morbiddk@insensible.net ------
>
> procmail: Couldn't read "/home/morbiddk/||"

when i received these messages (from sendmail) i didn't read upto
here.

( for one-two days i remain bewildered.  then i installed postfix,
rebuilt alias database, fiddled w/ .forward, & problem went away.
that is not to say those were/are the exact steps to solve the
issue; it just happens to be that way for me. )

  - parv