Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 17:43:15 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NATD gateway with Com21 cable modem+phone modem uplink?

On 17 Sep 98, at 23:58, Harlan Stenn wrote:

> Has anybody gotten a cable/phone modem combination to work with FreeBSD?

Yes.  Many people.  Search the mailing list archives.

> The cable modem is from Com21, and the cable company can barely understand
> the Win/{95,NT} that they support.

That's typical.

> I'd *love* to be able to run this with NATD on a FreeBSD box, so the rest
> of my network can use this way to get data from the InterNet.

It can be done.

> Here's where I have my doubts about NATD - the incoming translation will
> need to be on the local NIC stuff, and while outgoing packets will be
> headed over the PPP connection, the returning packets will have a
> destination IP address of 10.0.0.1.  Is NATD smart enough to handle this?

Very smart indeed.  It can and it will handle that.  At least, it's doing
that for me now.

The URL below contains the basics of how I did what you want to do.  I'm
using DHCP not PPP, so some bits will not apply.  But it should get you
started.  If you're stuck, read the mailing list archives.

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited