Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 17:48:54 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Geoff Buckingham <geoffb@demon.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel DK440LX m/b

Geoff Buckingham wrote:

> I seem to be seeing exactly the same thing with the  DK440LX board I have.
> Does anybody have this working without CAM? (No onboard SCSI obviously)
>
> I have installed 2.2.6 to both a seagate drive hanging off an adaptec 3940
> and to an IDE disk on the onboard controller, in both cases I either get
> a read error if I have dedicated the disk to FreeBSD or 'missing operating
> system' if I have installed with dos style partitions. It's as if the BIOS
> refuses to boot a 165 partition from hard disk, this seems unlikly as it
> boots the floppy fine.

Someone did some quite extensive research into this a while ago - and boiled
it down to the BIOS not passind the ID of the drive it wants to boot off in
a certain register... There was a 'patch' for it...

I've even seen the same thing on some boxes I've setup - but I got around it
by installing with a non-dedicated disk (make sure your installing a
bootloader if you do this - or you'll get the dreaded 'missing operating
system'...

Try searching the archives for 'read error' etc.?

Regards,

Karl Pielorz