Date:      Thu, 2 May 2002 10:22:03 +0300
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        "Christopher J. Umina" <FJU@Fritzilldo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PHP4, Apache & mod_ssl port?

Hi!

>     I still, to this date cannot build a nice Apache_1.3.x server with PHP4
> (with imap) and mod_ssl on this 4.5 system.  I've done it multiple times on
> a 4.1 system and the install went seemlessly.  Is there something different
> with BSD4.5?  I'm lost with everything in this case.

This is the procedure that I successfully used a couple of days ago
to do exactly that you are trying to do. My system is 4.5-RELEASE-p1
with MySQL installed from ports. Note that I'm using the "GNU" layout
- your taste may differ.

Sources used:
Apache 1.3.24
PHP 4.2.0
mod_ssl 2.8.8
UW-IMAP 2001a

The procedure (line wrapping added courtesy of my mail client):

cd imap2001a
make bsf
cd ../apache_1.3.24
./configure
cd ../php-4.2.0
./configure  \
	--with-apache=../apache_1.3.24 \
	--with-imap=../imap-2001a \
	--with-mysql=/usr/local \
	--with-layout=GNU \
	--with-gettext \
	--with-xml \
	--with-mcrypt \
	--with-zlib
make install
cd ../mod_ssl-2.8.8-1.3.24
setenv SSL_BASE=SYSTEM
setenv EAPI_MM=SYSTEM
./configure --with-apache=../apache_1.3.24
cd ../apache
./configure \
	--with-layout=GNU
	--activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a \
	--enable-module=ssl
make
make install

It worked without a hitch.

I know that I should be using ports, but I'm just bad ;-)
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* The trouble with the global village are all the global village idiots.