Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 1997 17:04:06 -0600
From:      jlemon@americantv.com (Jonathan Lemon)
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm), jfieber@indiana.edu, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New motherboard breaks tape drive

> Because the HiNT chipset was so terrible, NiCE went under and was
> sold off several times, so there are several vendors with HiNT
> chipset systems.  As far as I know, the HiNT chipset is only
> present in a few older EISA or EISA/ISA systems.

Heh.  When I bought my EISA machine about 4 years back, I was worried
that their motherboard wouldn't be able to cache any memory above 16M.
So I called them up and asked them how many address lines they had going
to their tag cache - nobody in their tech department could even answer
my question.  So I finally had them fax over the damned schematics and
looked at them myself.

Incompetents, sigh.  (Yes, they only had 24 address lines, and I wanted
to put in 32M back then).
--
Jonathan