Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 20:22:52 +0200
From:      "Siegbert Baude" <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
To:        "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>, "Jamie Grunewald" <jamieg@cardiologica.net>
Cc:        <FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Install Hangs while unpacking

> > I'm attempting to install FreeBSD 4.0 on an Packard Bell Intel Pentium
> > 133. This system is relatively o"old". about 5 years. I've noticed that
> > when it's probing for hardware during the boot I noticed this line:
> >
> > "atapci0: <CMD 640 controller !Warning! Buggy chip data loss possible>
> > irq 14 at device 13.0 on pci0"
>
> Stop right there.  Don't even try to install FreeBSd on a machine with one
> of these.  In fact, don't try and install any OS on one of those.  I had
> one and it hung every OS I installed on it - DOS, Windows 95/98/NT,
> FreeBSD.

I never had a system with CMD640, but I know that Linux has a special kernel
option for this chipset, which is announced as workaround for the known
problems. If I should choose between a new system with FreeBSD and an old
one with Linux, I would know, what to prefer however ;-)

To be sure, if you should expect problems then, ask on a Linux list.

Ciao
Siegbert