Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 03:15:47 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   rplay and guspnp14

Well, the problem that people may encountered with rplay and guspnp14 is
that rplay uses SND_CTL_POST to flush the audio buffers which happens
not to do that rather starts the dma processing . The dma routines
at times can interleave audio buffers so in a way is a bug in the
dma buffering algorithm ;however, in this case just by using SND_CTL_SYNC
it fixes most of the problems.  The last issue is that rplay upon
start playback of a sound stream does not check to see if the buffers
has been flushed . Yes, this is a dma buffering algorithm however
in this case the application can compensate by first checking at
the start of a sound stream if the buffers has been flushed.

I will look into fixing the dma buffering algorithm however I rather
not fixed it given that it is easy to fix in rplay and that the
sound driver is currently being revamp by Luigi.

If anyone wants to fix the dma buffering in guspnp14, I will be
happy to guide them thru dmabuf.

	Cheers,
	Amancio