Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 2004 03:46:38 GMT
From:      Shannon Matteson <catlord17@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/72439: Sound not functioning for VIA_8233 chipset from kernel or loaded from file.

>Number:         72439
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Sound not functioning for VIA_8233 chipset from kernel or loaded from file.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
primus# uname -a
FreeBSD primus.earthlink.net 5.3-BETA7 FreeBSD 5.3-BETA7 #17: Thu Oct  7 22:35:00 EDT 2004     shannon@primus.earthlink.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PRIMUS  i386
primus#

Sound drivers do not function correctly except when loaded manually.  Compiled into the kernel, loaded from /boot/loader.conf/ or loaded from /etc/rc.conf does not work.  Drivers load and attach, but no sound.  Graphical analyzers reveal that sound is being generated, but it is not coming from speakers.  You can see the entire details of what the problem is and how I attempted to fix it here:

http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25524&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

I had installed from Beta-2 and tracked to Beta 7, trying to fix the problem, or wait for the bug to be fixed if it was one.  When it was not, and I ran out of options, I decided to report it.
>How-To-Repeat:
      My machine is using an Albatron KX-400+ Pro mobo with a Via-8233 AC'97 sound chip and an Athlon XP 1800+ CPU with 512 megs of ram.  I presume the problem is specific to that chiopset, since nobody else on FreeBSD Forums seems to have this problem.  Simply set up Beta 7 and try to load option sound and option "via_8233" in kernel, or place the appropriate statements in /etc/rc.conf or /boot/loader.  It does not work.  Using a generic kernel, or even my custom kernel with option sound and option "via_8233" commented out, these options, plus the sysctl options to increase virtual channels, works fine from the console.
>Fix:
      No known fix.