Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 2002 05:27:06 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@tcoip.com.br>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with ntpdate

"Daniel C. Sobral" wrote:
> Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > On 2002-11-28 17:00, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@tcoip.com.br> wrote:
> > > I found out that ntpdate just doesn't seem to be working at all
> > > during boot. Ntpd dies because of the time differential (windows
> > > changes the time two hours because of the TZ). No message from
> > > ntpdate (I'll next try to divert it to syslog).

If you want to add code to fix this, it's trivial:

1)	Read the CMOS clock directly

2)	Read the CMOS clock via vm86()

3)	If there is a difference measured in round units, apply
	it as an adjustment to the value each time you read directly.

Problem solved.  Basically, it comes down to initializing an
integer at boot time via a SYSCONFIG() created for that purpose.

Personally, I don't have any boxes with a BIOS that's still
broken.  I used to have one, but I disassembled it with Frank
van Gilluwe's "Sourcer", hacked the timezone adjustment out
of the code, assembled the new code with MASM, and burnt some
new PROMs for it.  That was back in 1997.

If you are looking for advice, my advice is to fix your BIOS...
it's easier.  8-).  Otherwise, it wouldn't be hard at all to
hack the described fix into machdep.c, to make FreeBSD more
tolerant of broken hardware (always one in the "plus" column).

-- Terry