Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 13:55:28 +0100 (MET)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.ORG
To:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed)
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: > 80x24 ?

> > Go read a bunch of "booklets" for different video cards, then read a
> > couble of books on PC video hw, and then come back with a better
> > understanding of the problem(s).
> > Then tell me again how easy it will be to make this work on ALL
> > video hw....
> >
> > PS: If you don't have any PC hw books handy, look at the XFree86
> >     sources for the video hw they support.
>
> How very sad.

Endeed.

> Is there such a thing as a "most common" method for changing the text
> resolution ?  What about for PnP devices ?  PCI video vards ?

Well, syscons allows you to switch between all those modes that are
"common" already..

There is hope I guess, but until the vendors get their act together
and actually FOLLOWS the standards, sigh..

> I know PC suck, but this reaches new heights.

I'd say low's :)

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time.