Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 2010 17:43:14 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Extra keys in multimedia keyboard doesn't work

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 08:26:47PM +0000, Krzysztof Dajka wrote:
> Hi, I've recently got a new Microsoft Wireless Keyboard  v2.0. I am curios
> whether multimedia keyboards work with FreeBSD out of box or should I
> configure something or use some quirks to enable extra keys. This keyboard
> works fine with Linux 2.6.30 all keys work otb. I tried using xev in FreeBSD
> but none of additional keys returned anything after pressing it. Are
> multimedia keyboard supported in FreeBSD or am I having bad luck with mine
> keyboard and should I send PR.

Can you define "extra keys" in this case?  I've a feeling you're
referring to the multimedia keys and other stuff residing above the
Function keys of the keyboard.

If so: yes, FreeBSD's USB driver appears to lack support for these.  Or,
well, it did on RELENG_7 (which is a completely different USB driver),
so it sounds like RELENG_8 needs some work in this regard.

If someone wants to take up improving the quirks for this capability,
let me know and I'll be more than happy to send them a free Microsoft
Natural Ergonomic 4000 keyboard.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |