Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 2009 10:12:38 +1000
From:      Andrew Reilly <andrew-freebsd@areilly.bpc-users.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird portmaster behaviour -- everything fails to install

Problem solved!

In case anyone is interested, or has encountered a similar
problem, I believe that my problem was that somehow my
/var/db/pkg directory had a whole pile of near-duplicate entries
corresponding to port revisions.  Portmaster was checking the
installed version against the MD5 hashes in the "old" version
+CONTENTS file, and they weren't matching.  I assume that I
acquired all of these out-of-date pkg entries through a backup
restore mishap: I've been having gmirror issues lately (not
gmirror's fault, I think -- just a series of dodgy hard drives.)

All is good again.  No duplicate db/pkg entries at last, and
portmaster runs to completion as intended.

Cheers,

--
Andrew