Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2001 08:58:06 +0300
From:      Konstantinos Konstantinidis <kkonstan@duth.gr>
To:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Identity theft

"G. Adam Stanislav" wrote:

> Some damn spammer has just stolen my identity!
>
> I have received a bunch of "returns" of undeliverable spam, all
> having a "From: zen@buddhist.com" field (that is one of my emails).
>
> Among other things, the spam says, "Call 800-395-7379 to order
> by credit card." I called that number to complain, but get an
> answering machine with a full mailbox. (Feel free to call them
> and give them a piece of your mind, too--how else are we going
> to stop this nonsense!)
>
> Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Adam

There is nothing more annoying than a list you participate into
getting spammed with a forged email using *your* domain. Very,
very nasty, and it happened very recently to me, with one of
my private domains :(

Anyway, having spam bounce back to you is absolutely evil. In
one case that both me and another senior admin were away for
several hours, suddenly spam started flooding in and by pure
bad lack it was bouncing to a really old DEC 7000 running OSF/1
that was chugging along with some mailing lists among other
things. Anyway, it was way to slow compared to the flow of
bounces, and didn't last long either. We got to see the most
outrageously large queues ever on our MXs. We're talking several
orders of magnitude more traffic than we usually do. Solaris
simply could not handle it. When I took over it was panicing,
and right after booting rapidly reaching loads in excess of 30
and promptly panicing again. We're talking hundreds of thousands
of which is really way out of proportion for our site.

If that's not a DDoS, I don't know *what* is. The entire known
universe, and then some, seemed to bounce spam to us at a ridiculous
rate.

After fighting with it for a good half hour I gave up - I just
went over there and quickly set up a FreeBSD 4.1.1-RELEASE
box on a fast intel box to take over as an MX so that mail
flow could resume, and then tried to tweak sendmail so that
it would slowly process the queue, but to no avail, try as
much as I could, the result was either an outrageous long
estimated time of getting over with it (in the order of days),
or panics. I finally set another FreeBSD box up, transfered
the mail queues over and let it process it overnight...

Whoever tells me again that spam is harmless, it isn't a big
deal to hit "delete" a few times a day or whatnot, will receive
a punch in the face. Honestly.

Currently my /etc/mail/access is >1000 lines like this:

foo@bar.ourdomain	\
	550 We didn't sent this and we don't want it either.

It grows quite fast too!

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just sue the spammers for
damages? Heck, it's becoming a full time job nowadays to
keep your MXs from wasting resources on stuff like that,
and I know of several other incidents where mail access
to several domains just went down for hours due to spam
activity... That, and the fact that you get loads of abuse
reports for spam that you had nothing to do with, and in
fact you were more of a victim than anyone else that bothers
to complain but can't figure out who is at fault... Sure,
they get an auto-reply explaining a few things so that we
don't have to respond to each one of them, but still it
does damage your reputation as well as placing unnecessary
burden on personel, hardware and bandwidth...

--kkonstan