Date:      17 Jul 2002 23:23:03 -0700
From:      Steve Wingate <steve@velosystems.net>
To:        pjklist@ekahuna.com
Cc:        Questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Michael Wells <mwvw@adelphia.net>
Subject:   Re: When is FreeBSD going to work properly with KVM switches?

On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 23:03, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
> On 17 Jul 2002, at 16:37, Michael Wells boldly uttered:

> > booted
> > problem
> > with 4.2.

> > > I really really really wouldn't be so quick to assume the problem is
> > > FreeBSD.  In my experience, Belkin's are not very good KVMs, I won't
> > > use them any more, personally.  I've had problems with them not
> > > correctly initializing keyboard or mouse ports with Windows as well.
> > > Never had a problem with FreeBSD and KVM switches, personally.
> > >
> > > If you want a good KVM, stick with either Avocent (my personal
> > > preference - used to be Cybex and Apex), Raritan, Rose, or one of the
> > > companies that OEMs the Avocent switches. (ie Compaq, HP, Dell) The
> > > cheapo KVMs are cheap for a reason.
> > >
> > > (Then you've got "RichardH" saying Belkin's are overpriced, LOL..
> > > well I never tried D-link KVMs, maybe they're OK for a cheapo
> > > model :-)
> > >

> > I have a Belkin 4 port OmniView that works just fine with FreeBSD and
> > w2k.  I had to add a flag to my kernel to keep things study when
> > switching back and forth, but other than that it's been just fine.
>

> If I'm interpreting the "fix" right, what it does is force the OS to
> think there's a keyboard present even if there may not be. (the flag,
> which is not on by default, makes FreeBSD check for a keyboard)
>
> There are 2 primary functions of a KVM from the standpoint of a
> computer's keyboard interface: looking like a keyboard when the PC
> boots and checks the keyboard interface, and maintaining state on the
> keyboard signals so they are restored when that particular PC is un-
> selected and re-selected.
>
> In summary, the whole point of a KVM is to make the connected
> computer see what looks like a regular, connected keyboard.  If you
> have to do anything to the OS to get it to act as it normally does
> without a KVM, the KVM isn't doing its job right.

There are actually more than one issue in this thread, I think.
One relates to low-end KVM's that don't have dedicated keyboard/mouse
microprocessors for EACH port on the unit. If the KVM doesn't have
dedicated processors then the KVM has to be pointed to a server as it
boots up, otherwise the server will boot but the keyboard won't be
active. I have a 4-port Belkin OmniView SE where this is the case.
The second issue relates to some ps/2 mice freaking out when you switch
KVM ports. This shows up as countless psmintr errors on the console when
you switch ports. I had this issue constantly with a Microsoft
Intellimouse w/Intellieye. I tried every trick in the archives to get
rid of it and failed. If I switched to an old IBM mouse with the lil
eraser head wheel the errors went away but I HATED the eraser head.
Several months ago I switches to a Logitech wheel mouse, with the
intellieye doohickey, and I haven't seen the errors since.