Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 13:48:08 -0600
From:      Matt Schlosser <mschlosser@eschelon.com>
To:        'Joe Oliveiro' <joe@advancewebhosting.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Bandwidth Monitoring

You can set up tcpdump to dump all the packet headers into a big log file
that is rotated when it is certain size, then have a parser chew through the
log files as they rotate and create the reports.

As far as generating the graphs, you'll have to get someone else, but you
can write a perl script to easily tear through the logs to get a final value
if you have the horsepower on the computer.

We did this at a place I used to work, but instead of tracking bandwidth,
we'd watch for exploit attempts on other machines and then trigger a grep on
the tcpdump logs that pulled out all the traffic for the exploit attempt.
The machine was freeBSD 3.4 with 233mhz pII, 64 megs of ram and a 4 gig HD.
Nothing running on it except sshd, tcpdump, and ipfw. Oh, and a big sandbox
behind port 23 that we all re-created binaries for that did nothing except
print phoney output to the screen.  wanna do an ls? you always get the same
output.  cd /wherever worked but didn't put you there, instead pwd would
spit back whatever you put into cd  it was a lot of fun to build, and I
think it's still running.

---
Matthew Schlosser
Systems Administrator