Date:      Thu, 23 Jun 2016 13:40:27 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with VLAN config and traffic after 10.1-R -> 10.3-R-p5 Upgrade?

--On 23 June 2016 14:30 +0200 Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de> wrote:

> I don't think having an IP address on an interface that also has vlan
> interfaces is a good idea. What kind of traffic are you expecting on
> lagg1?

Hi,

This has worked for 'quite a while' (i.e. >year). lagg1 is connected to an
HP switch that has on the two ports that are the lagg:

 - Untagged traffic (i.e. frames presented to the host with no VLAN tag,
and frames expected back again with no VLAN tag).

 - Tagged VLAN30 - which is presented to the host tagged as VLAN30, and the
switch expects to get frames back tagged with VLAN30 already.

 - Tagged VLAN35 - ditto but for VLAN35

The HP's don't seem to have an issue with it - and it worked before. The
way  rc.conf is interpreted at the moment means we end up without an IP on
lagg1 anyway.

If you do a manual 'ifconfig lagg1 inet 172.16.50.1 netmask 255.255.255.0'
to fix this - it works (although the lagg1.30/35 VLAN's still don't work).

In fact, as I just noticed before - if I do 'ifconfig lagg1 promisc' - it
all works as it used to (on 10.1-R).

-Kp