Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 2010 11:52:56 +0100
From:      Troels Kofoed Jacobsen <tkjacobsen@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UTF-8 problem in 8.0

On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 03:47:36PM -0800, Derek Kulinski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After installing FreeBSD 8.0 I noticed that some characters aren't
> displayed correctly (it worked fine for 7.2).
>
> Mainly the dash character is most noticeable (though it's possible
> it's more of them).
>
> Example:
> env LANG=C man sh
> env LANG=pl_PL.UTF-8 man sh
> env LANG=en_US.UTF-8 man sh
>
> The first command shows everything fine, the later two seem to show
> some unprintable character in place of every dash (i.e. in the second
> paragraph word "built-in", or the dashes that break up the words at
> the end of the line)

I've been playing around with locales myself the past days. My analysis:
# env LANG=C locale charmap
US-ASCII
# env LANG=pl_PL.UTF-8 locale charmap
UTF-8
# env LANG=en_US.UTF-8 locale charmap
UTF-8

So the first one prints US-ASCII to your terminal and the latter two
prints UTF-8 characters. My guess is that your terminal is set to
US-ASCII and not UTF-8 and will thus not understand UTF-8 encoded
characters.

I'm using konsole where this setting can be found in "View" ->
"Character Encoding"

Hope this helps

/Troels Kofoed Jacobsen