Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:34:40 -0500
From:      Jason Dusek <jason-dusek@uiowa.edu>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Smooth Wireless

Hi Everyone,

I would like to know about the right way to set up wireless. I have Dell D600
with a Dell TrueMobile 1350 running CURRENT. Ndis works well, and I've written a
shell script that brings up my wireless interface everytime that I boot.
However, running wireless is still not very smooth. I have a host of problems:

  => If I leave a wireless zone and then hook-up an ethernet cord my computer
will not simply switch to the corded interface. I have to run sysinstall.
  => If I boot up with the ethernet configured and then enter a wireless zone, I
can't simply switch to the wireless - I have to run sysinstall.
  => If I go from one wireless zone to another, I have to run sysinstall.
  => Sometimes when I bring the wireless up in sysinstall, I get a 'page fault'
and my system crashes.

How do I get my machine to dynamically pick the interface that is working? And
what do I do about these page faults? I have looked at the Handbook, etc., and
while there is some useful information there I can't find anything that deals
with changing one's interface on the fly.

- Jason