Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 11:04:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, morganw@jps.net
Subject:   Re: Ruinning FreeBSD on Parallel port driver

In a previous message, Steve Friedrich said:
> --Original Message Text---
> From: Morgan Werner
> Date: 15 Oct 98 18:39:44 Pacific Standard Time
>
> I need some information about running freeBSD on a syquest parallel
> port drive.
> Please give me the instructions for this.
>
> You can't!

If you have the SyJet, the parallel port drive is actually a SCSI drive
with a fancy cable. Buy a SCSI card and cable and you're done.

I've never seen a SparQ so I don't know if it's the same way, but I'd
guess that it is.

> You should buy an IDE or SCSI drive.  I hope you asked before you
> bought.
>
> BTW, I used SyQuest SparQs for testing a product being ported from
> Clarion for DOS to Clarion for Windows, and I found that the SparQ EIDE
> drive was incompatible with some motherboards/BIOSes.  Even after
> finding a motherboard/BIOS that would detect the SparQ natively
> (without SyQuest utility), I couldn't install OS/2 to it, and Windows
> NT didn't like that little setup either.  They distinguish between
> non-removable DASD and removable DASD. DASD is IBMspeak for secondary
> storage, as in disk drive...

A friend of mine has a SyJet cartridge that is working as a bootable
NT disk. He could not get it to work with the NTFS however. This is,
of course, SCSI (well, we buy the parallel disk, but use it on SCSI).

Paul.

--
The air!  Man has visions of flight - not the raoring progress
of heavy sinking machines, but that silent loveliness of glid-