Date:      Thu, 9 May 2002 18:49:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Spork <spork@fasttrackmonkey.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree86 4.2.0 + ATI problems

Hello,

I took my first stab on a new workstation with XFree86 4.2.0 out of the
ports collection.  This is FreeBSD 4.6-Prerelease via cvsup.  Video card
is an ATI "WinPro", which the X server calls a generic Mach64.

My past experiences with X were early 4.x versions and 3.x versions, where
you had to build your own config file with the included xf86config
utility.  I noticed on this version that the config util is built in to
the server and it generates it's own very very brief config, with most
values probed at runtime.

X currently sees this as a Mach64 card and uses the ATI driver, not the
generic VGA driver.  It does work, with a few bad quirks:

-redraw is very very slow. move a window and it trails
-by default it goes to the max resolution of the monitor (the next step
beyond 1280x1024)
-setting the "virtual" line in each color depth subsection to my preferred
1024x768 causes the server to go to 256 color mode
-if I comment out the lower color depths with the virtual screen setting,
leaving 16bpp and 24bpp, the server will not start

Any ideas?  This thing seems to have changed quite a bit since I last
played with it.  I've had the same card working as desired in older revs
of XFree.

I simply want to force it to go 16 or 24bpp @1024x768 or 1280x1024.  It
really wants to go a step higher and gets upset when I crank the
resolution down.

Any ideas?  I've poked around the docs on xfree86.org, but I'm not finding
a good general setup guide.

Thanks,

Charles