Date:      Wed, 2 Feb 2005 17:59:59 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brad <wbsmith@accesscomm.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proliant 5000

--obRs6g3QSNdgmoVb

I'm really puzzled how the quotation levels got the way they were.

On Wednesday,  2 February 2005 at  1:00:20 -0600, Brad wrote:

>>> Yes, this is about the age I was expecting.  The specs are pretty
>>> close to my 6500.  I didn't realize, that the older RAID cards were
>>> EISA, but it's not clear from the article whether they were shipped
>>> with the 5000.
>>>

>> No it isn't clear - thing is though that most of those servers were sold
>> by VARS (the sister company of the ISP I work at used to be a Compaq VAR
>> and now is an HP VAR) and there was no default factory configuration
>> because the VAR was supposed to analyze the customer's network and quote
>> the appropriate parts.
>>
>> Unfortunately however as you might have guessed the PCI cards were at
>> least a grand more than the EISA cards and so customers being customers,
>> far too many of these were quoted and built with the cheaper EISA card.
>> Many also were upgrade sales of older Compaq 4500's and they just sold
>> the chassis and cpu's and ram, and moved the disks and raid card
>> wholesale from one to the other.

>>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=56091&item=5747208198&rd=1
>>>

>>> Look at the shipping costs.  That's another $13 before you get
>>> started.
>>
>> Damn, there goes the pizza money...  :-)
>
> Hi, sorry for being out of touch for the day (or so...)
>
> The computer has a Smart Array 2DH card.

As I mentioned a couple of times, this is the card I'm using.  It's
also the one in the (repeatedly broken) URL above.

> It is in fact PCI based so now I don't know what to do. First
> however, I think I will try a different slot And see if that does
> something. Then I do have a different array controller And will try
> that one.

Do you have a 4.10 CD available?  That's what I used for installation.

Greg

--obRs6g3QSNdgmoVb

--obRs6g3QSNdgmoVb--